Thursday, February 21, 2013

London Fashion Week

We all knew it was coming. Time to review London Fashion Week!

Overall: AMAZING (quit a different adjective than NYFW you will notice)

Finally, finally interesting construction and fabric and prints. Collections that don't feel safe or boring or predictable (for the most part).

Let's start with some favorites, then move on to the travesties.

Sass & Bide
Oh. Those crazy Australians. Trying to give us bold color for fall. Silly, silly people.


Wide-leg trousers, knits, exciting geometric prints, silk- this collection is pure fun. Yes, it has a dominatrix moment, but we quickly move past that to beautiful white silks, like this gorgeous piece.


And some sexy mini-dresses to round out the collection-

Plus, the shoes were amazing. Can't wait to hoard myself some Sass & Bide.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling low, I go to Bloomingdales and grab myself some Burberry, as you do, and it always makes me feel better. 

But then I realize it's time to go home (or the store is closing on me) and I have to hang it all back up, because I can't afford to actually buy any of it. But that's not the point. The point is that the clothes make me feel good. For about an hour. If I'm lucky.

The Spring 2013 collection was just ok, so I was a bit nervous to see what Fall would reveal. But oh, it was beautiful. The collection is based around Christine Keeler, a former model/actress who nearly brought down the British government in 1963 through an affair with Profumo, the Secretary of StateClassic shapes and colors mixed with latex and animal print creates something "a little bit naughty," says Burberry creative director Christopher Bailey.

photo courtesy of Burberry



What woman doesn't want to feel sexy and powerful (again, in a non-dominatrix way)?
Bailey's collection accomplished just that.

Also an ode to the 60's, but meant to focus around Tippie Hedren, ala Hitchcock. As WWD puts it, "Despite the Hitchcock theme, the collection was largely lacking in suspense or drama." True. But beautiful nonetheless.

Art deco dominated the prints and the signature embellishments on evening wear reminded us of the timelessness of the brand. 






This collection has garnered some very mixed reviews. Vogue loved it, WWD thought it was mediocre and busy- I believe it has moments. Gorgeous moments.

The strength is in the fit and the more everyday wear. I wasn't a fan of his red carpet gowns, but I will show them to you here and you can decide.

I love the structural aspect of this dress



Here is a gown. I think it looks like she has a cape. A heavy cape, that could weigh down even Superman. But that's just me.

Mulberry
I feel very Carrie Bradshaw when I think about Mulberry. In London the Mulberry shop in Marylebone is on a tiny side street off Oxford Street. First, when you arrive, you're happy not to be dealing with the crowds and inane conversation of Oxford Street, then you see the Mulberry window and sigh happiness. 

My Carrie Bradshaw reference comes full circle when I remember many a late night cutting through that street, passing a closed Mulberry, the only light literally a spotlight onto this gorgeous bag in the window, "Hello lover" may have slipped off my tongue once, or twice.

Outwear heavy, hand-knitted, tweed, leather and fur that looks like mink, but apparently is straightened sheepskin- this collection finally shows that Mulberry is no longer just bags, but a true collection. Here are some pieces I loved, and some... ahem.... bags.



This entire outfit needs to get. in. my. closet.

Matthew Williamson
For the most part, I very much enjoyed this collection. I appreciated the risk and the reward was clearly seen in his more tailored pieces and A-Line dresses. His influence was a British girl traveling to Scandinavia- which sometimes I understood, other times not. Here are a few pieces I think worked well.

gah I wish I could wear this color

easily my favorite piece. though I wish it was on a different model and had been styled differently.


the Scandinavian sky


Ok, on to my WTF's.
Just to be clear- these are merely my opinions. And I am banking on the fact that I'm just not cool enough to understand some of these collections. If I left the house wearing most of Tom Ford's collection people everywhere would look at me with severe judgement. And it would be warranted

Tom Ford
I love Tom Ford. I love his clothes and his beautiful photography and A Single Man (you had me at Colin Firth. Man that guy can wear a sweater) There were a few pieces in this collection I did like. But overall... I just didn't understand. 
"Cross Country Multi Ethnic" was the theme. You decide.




you honestly wouldn't laugh at me if I showed up at your house wearing this? Hey girl hey.

Meadham Kirchhoff
Their influence was "Turn of the Screw" meets the Pope's wardrobe. Why?
PVC skirts. Why?
I just don't get it. And I have nothing else to say.







Overall a fantastic week. Only a few disappointments. I leave you with this beautiful piece from L'Wren Scott. Gorgeous work of art.
all photos courtesy of WWD







No comments:

Post a Comment