Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Working in our Nation's Capital

Recently, I was in DC to film a television show. Filming in DC is always a challenge. You have many pieces of government that must be involved in every detail of what you're doing, which is difficult and time-consuming. People who work there regularly maneuver the waters like pros, which is why it's so important to hire local production companies if you need to shoot in our nation's capital.

I used to work there regularly and I like to think I can still navigate some of the rules, for example: the jurisdiction for the roads, curbs, and sidewalks are all under different branches of the government (DC Police, Secret Service, Park Police) and even then it depends on what part of the city you are in. On some streets the flag poles are DC Police jurisdiction, some streets they're not. See? A challenge. Add to that rules that are constantly changing and a Film Office that does not much to help. BUT! If you know how to navigate, you are golden. 

DC has fantastic crews, some of my favorite in the business. Super professional and fast-moving. I like them very much. And as many, many people will tell you, I am super picky about film crews. Praise indeed.

Here's a quick behind-the-scenes post about the magic of making a movie. 

The "magic" begins early, like 4am early, as we wait for the trucks to land.



And all of the gear to be offloaded.
The sun came up like a slingshot. I swear it was dark and then light in two seconds. My eyes were very confused.

Our camera guy wheeling in the camera equipment.



At craft service I learned the best news of the day! Swedish Fish are a fat-free food. Whey-hey.


Our location manager speaking to one of our cops.... maybe he heard me making fun of all the cops wheeling around DC on segways...

He's coming to get you!



After a long day on set, my desk looks like a madhouse and there is still tons to do. Like watching the 1st AD do a sleep-deprived dance, which I have to admit, was incredibly entertaining.

We decided that instead of ending the day with much needed sleep, we would go have oysters at Old Ebbitt (where we renamed our waiter Alex, instead of Steve. We thought this was hilarious, he did not...)
photo courtesy of Sally Gary
and then finally, actually end the 20 hour day with the most delicious treat in the world... the sour cherry pavlova at The Hamilton. Unlike Swedish Fish, this is not a fat-free food. But worth every bite.

It was a fun shoot, and I look forward to going back, but DC has a short life-span with me and after a week, I am ready to go. Goodbye Nation's Capitol! I will see you again soon.

Next week I am off to London for some meetings and one of my best friend's weddings. I need to find a hotel room desperately! Off to search....




No comments:

Post a Comment