Monday, March 11, 2013

Paris Fashion Week

I know, there have been a lot of posts about Fashion. And when Paris FW is finished, you will have a fashion reprieve. Maybe. So really you should look at this post like a gift, savoring every word. Maybe a small tear runs down your cheek from premature longing. That would be really nice.

In a sea of melancholy fashion, Paris Fashion Week became the example of what every designer should aspire to show. Paris Paris Paris. It took the 'ready-to-wear' assignment and elevated it to a new level of beauty and sophistication. It awed me, and that's not easy to do.

Let's start with Chanel

As Women's Wear Daily said about Karl Lagerfeld, "Many aspire; few achieve." This collection took the classic Chanel and modernized it in a way unheard of; to reach an audience of young and young-at-heart within the same collection is a feat achieved by no one else.

The show itself was in the Grand Palais in Paris. Glass, beauty, light- the perfect setting.

The audience sat far off the runway forcing them toward the clothes, making them desperate for a closer look, almost a need. Proving Lagerfeld's genius at not only design, but at creating a customer. 

Take a moment and fall a little bit in love with Chanel Fall 2013.












Valentino
Valentino, Valentino, Valentino. I want to just write "ahhhhhhhhhhh" but that doesn't sound eloquent, so instead I will tell you that once again, Paris shows us true design. Valentino designs clothes for the woman who can feel sexy in anything- she doesn't need sheer and strappy. She's confident and classic. Who doesn't want to be a Valentino woman?













Louis Vuitton 
I'll be honest, not a line I have loved in the past. But the matured Marc Jacobs has taken the reins and I'm kind of head over heels in love with most of this collection (I still say no to crushed velvet). It's kind of a grungy, yet classic Parisian woman- I know how bizarre that sounds. Jacobs welcomes her curves instead of hiding them; puts her in delicate fabrics and cuts, accentuating her body in a sexy but not slutty way. It's magical.








Christian Wijnants
A recent recipient of the prestigious International Woolmark Prize for knitwear, Christian Wijnants proved his genius craftsmanship with every garment that walked the runway. Sweaters that flatter and yet simultaneous evoke that need to snuggle deep inside them- in a cabin somewhere cold. Oooh maybe Sweden with snow laying all around you and Daniel Craig.... but I digress...










Jean Paul Gaultier
I liked this show. His clothes aren't for everyone, they definitely have a harder, eccentric side to them. But they're interesting and at the end of the day, that is enough for me. I don't want to be bored and thankfully, you really don't have to worry about that happening with Gaultier. 

He's grown a lot from Madonna's cone-bra days, even though he incorporates that a bit in his opening looks. And if you're the woman who has the balls to wear that, you're kind of my idol.











Nina Ricci
Quite the antithesis of Gaultier, Nina Ricci is soft, elegant and stunning in it's classical designs. These dresses make you feel beautiful and excited to be on the arm of the handsome gentleman next to you wearing his gorgeous tuxedo. Are you going to the opera or maybe a flip cup tournament at your favorite bar? Either way- you'll be the most beautiful people there.




Beautiful pale tartan, a big trend for Fall.







Zadig & Voltaire
I love a good rock and roll suit. These are hot. They make me want to join a band and sing like a rockstar. Even though I can't sing. It would actually be more like a punishment for those listening. But I would look awesome.





Then there were the few pieces I loved in collections I didn't enjoy in totality. I call them 'moments.'

Talbot Runhof


Hermés


Dior




Elie Saab



All photos courtesy of WWD
Boom. That's how you do fashion week. I expect every show next season to bring it like Paris. This is my task to you designers, from a lowly, mostly unknown blogger. Fashion week out. Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment