Thursday, March 14, 2013

Beer Geek Tuesday

There's a neighborhood bar I like to frequent in Atlanta called Cypress Street. On Tuesdays they have a Beer Geek night, which means they have small batch beers and do a food pairing with them.





This week I was "dragged along" by my friend Josh. He's had a rough week, I've had a rough week. Beer was needed.

The brewery of the evening was Bell's, one of my favorites out of Michigan. They only distribute to 18 states, so if you live in one of the unfortunate 38, you should think about moving.



Tonight's beer fest was centered around Bell's Hopslam. Delicious and hoppy and bitter. I love hoppy beers, and I will be bold in saying the best IPA's come from America- we do the IPA proud. 



Hopslam is brewed with 6 different hop varieties and then dry hopped with Simcoe hops, a variety from the Pacific Northwest (you are all part of the 38 states, sorry). Balanced with a generous malt bill and a big dollop of honey, they keep the beer balanced. It's kind of a craze in Atlanta. You hear people whispering "Hopslam's been released" and then like a zombie craze people rush to the local beer stores and it's gone in an hour. Literally an hour. Cypress is apparently the last bar in Atlanta to have a keg. So we took full advantage of this.



Test photos: the firelight casts more beautiful shadows in picture 1 or 2.... hm......

My brother met up with us and like the renegade he is, he said no! to Hopslam and tried a little stout action. Left Hand Milk Stout that is.




It's ok, not my favorite stout in the world, and I love me some stouts. I mean honestly, I pretty much love many things.

A few other fine selections they have that are worth trying:

Munich Dunkel Lager
Kinston, NC

Kulmbacher-style Lager
Milwaukee, WI

Saison
Holland, MI
(that is one seriously badass monkey)

Give them a go, let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment