Monday, April 22, 2013

Spring Looks I Wish You Had Stolen From My Closet

It's that time- time to empty out your closets, put away the winter coats and sweaters, find out what the looks are for Spring and weave them into your wardrobe. Don't throw away all your clothes (but let's be honest, some deserve to be chucked, don't they?), just work in something new. 

Today, I jumped in the car and headed for Saks (as you do) to do a little Spring perusing. I instructed my friend Courtney (we know her from our Honeycomb Studios blog) to meet me at 3:30 sharp to have a wee photo shoot of clothes I would inevitably shove her in and out of. Success! Great clothes discovered, fun pictures taken and a fabulous afternoon enjoyed.

We decided to focus on 6 Spring trends: 60's, Black and White, Stripes, Coral, Gold, and Leather, merging one or two into 5 different looks. We focused solely on day looks, something anyone can wear to work, or out with friends. No, the leather shorts didn't work, but we did find some gems.

60's MOD
Spring 2013 showed us lots of 60's options: Vuitton, Kors, Chanel, Moschino- all created beautiful homages to the 60's silhouette. 
Louis Vuitton
Michael Kors


























In an effort to see the translation from the runway to retail, we steered away from the more expensive designers and chose the Angela Tab Waist Dress by Shoshanna. Classic tweed, 60's silhouette, with a tab button detail at the waist. We paired it with flats Courtney already owned from Gap, hot pink hoop earrings which we put with most pieces because they're so awesome, and a Michael Kors rose gold watch.




How cute is she? 

These shoes work nicely with the dress, but other options you could try:

Rachel Zoe "Laura"
Boutique 9 "Justine"









Butter "Gisele Bow Heels"
And obv you need a bag, I like these:
Modalu "Kristin"

Mulberry Small Willow tote

BLACK & WHITE
I am most excited about this trend because I love me some black and white. It feels sexy and bold and already fills most of my closet. We saw gorgeous black and white on the runway:
Phillip Lim
Chanel
Alexander Wang
Courtney and I came back to black and white a couple times, mixing it with leather and sheer, as you will later see. This dress by Nicole Miller was a major success combining both the black and white and the stripe Spring trends. I made her do some ridiculous poses, the aftermath below.

 

It's body hugging, but sexy, and a perfect length.

     
Aaaand for my favorite part: shoes. We basically holed up in the dressing room annoying many people who worked there, so nothing could be properly styled. But, if I could, I would choose one or all of these:
ShoeMint "Lulu"
Manolo Blahnik "Ensati"
Alexander McQueen
Gold and Coral
Two gorgeous and very wearable spring colors.
Diane von Furstenberg
Victoria Beckham








Jenny Packham
We paired a coral blouse by Rebecca Minkoff, gold shorts by Alice + Olivia, and a slouchy white blazer by TheoryThere was major hesitation when I pulled out the gold shorts in a "tada!" fashion, but she was a champ.




The blazer is oversized and amazing, the shorts looked fantastic without going too disco, and the coral is the perfect color for her skin tone. A little 1985 homage, in a fashion forward way.















A quick photo without the jacket-

and of course, a Glamor Shot moment was necessary

Shoes: I say have fun with your shoes. Always. There are some crazy styles and colors out there- try them! Accessorize like crazy.

With this outfit you could do an easy sandal-
Joie "Pebble"
A lacy oxford
Latigo "Laceside Oxford"
A casual wedge would look gorgeous too, and if you want to dress it up for drinks, try a platform heel like this:
Kurt Geiger "Esme"

For a bag, try a cross-body-
Mini MAC
Or a tote. This is one of my favorite lines from Paris, Miss Bolsos. It's chic and cheap. What's not to love.

Miss Bolsos "Alméria"

LEATHER
Continuing our nod to black and white, we tried a gorgeous take-me-home-right-now pair of leather leggings by Vince, with a white silk blouse by Equipment. After a long back and forth "I've never worn leather in my life... you will have to peel me out of them... I am trusting you Erin" conversation, we got them on. And she looks fabulous and super sexy.



Look at that Gyrotonic butt, gorgeous dahling.
This is where you can go super crazy and fun with your accessories. The outfit is a blank canvas. Try these!

Senso Xixi Fluro
Pour la Victoire "Veronica"















Kate Spade 'Iver'

with one of these-
Phillip Lim
BrontiBay Paris
Mulberry "Alexa"

SHEER/CUT-OUT
And finally, our favorite dress. Black and white, sheer and stripes. A snake-print dress by Parker. The space between each stripe is sheer. Wear a slip or don't, the dress can be a risque as you would like.
 

Casual, fun and can easily be dressed up for evening. We paired it with a coral Tory Burch belt to color-block it a bit, which I think turned out very nicely.

Shoes to try:
K Jacques St Tropez

Maiden Lane "Embossed"
Enzo Angiolini "Demario"

Bags:

Cross-Body Perfection
Marc Jacobs Classic Q
Milly Metallic Fringe Clutch
Burberry
That is my wisdom for today. Go forth and shop! And find some delicious Spring outfits.




No comments:

Post a Comment