Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Traveling 101

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness," said the great Mark Twain. 

And how true.
Iona, Scotland
Recently a sixth-grader told me a priority of his was to graduate high school, then take a year off before college to travel the world. I bow to him. What a sage.

I believe it to be true that you learn more from traveling for a week in a foreign country than a year sitting in a classroom. I've been very fortunate to do a great deal of traveling, which we will explore later in greater depth, and wanted to share with you some insights that make the adventure that much easier and fun.

Air Travel

1. Here it is. My super secret airline ticket trick:  

Say you want to fly to Atlanta from Tallahassee, but the one-way flight is $400. Crazy. Waaay overpriced. 

However. If you were to find a ticket from Tallahassee to Washington, DC- with a stopover in Atlanta- at the low fare of $200, what's to say you don't just get off the plane in Atlanta? Same trip, $200 less. Now this only works domestically, one-way, and you can't check a bag. But who wants to pay to check a bag anyway these days? 

2. Know the difference between direct flights and nonstop flights. Direct flights have those annoying stops where the plane lands but you don't get off, you just sit on a random city's tarmac while the flight crew changes. Nonstop is quite literally, nonstop.

3. If you check a bag, or you fly international and you have to check a bag, make sure it has something unique to it. Either it's crazy Louis Vuitton (don't do this, unless you're a Real Housewife) or it's black. Just like everyone else's. 

I can't tell you how many times I've been at baggage claim watching all the identical bags pass before me, wishing I had a bag that stood out. 

Story: One time I was flying to London and before I left I thought 'Not again! I vow to know my bag instantaneously as it falls rapidly down the ramp.' Of course the thought came to me 5 minutes before I had to leave for the airport. So I ran around the house looking for anything I could tie to my bag- ribbon, lace, twisty-tie things- but no, I found nothing. In my one last moment of genius I ran for that junk drawer you know we all have and found..... a glitter pen! Absolutely zero idea where that came from. But I tore off the top and rubbed glue mixed with glitter all over the front of my black suitcase.

Did I recognize my bag at baggage claim? Yes. Did I have to drag my home-glittered suitcase through the streets of London? Yes. 

Moral of the story: buy a luggage tag. Or a suitcase that is not black. 

Fun tags-
It's funny 'cause it's true. Troop Beverly Hills all the way.

Tumi T-Tech
Tumi T-Tech
Herb Lester
Owen and Fred Customizable
Luggage-
Super lightweight. Love this.
incase recently launched a new, affordable line geared toward the creative traveler. Polycarbonate hardshell front panel for enhanced protection, iPad sleeve, laptop space for up to a 17" MacBook Pro.
love the four wheels, you get really tired of dragging your (in my case, always heavy) suitcase around

this is just cute.
who doesn't want a luggage scooter?! You can ride to your next gate- no way you'd miss any connection

Short Trips or Weekends Away-








4. Check the weight limit of bags on all airlines you are flying. It may have happened that a certain leg of a hypothetical trip was on an airline who's bag weight limit was ridiculously lower than the other. I may have been charged a extortionate overweight bag fee. Which, argh, still makes me angry to think about.

5. Explore around-the-world tickets. Use a company like Airtreks and get a multi-stop ticket to explore. You have a long period of time to complete the ticket and the only rule is you have to go forward. It's easy and you would be surprised how inexpensive it is. I did a DC-Paris-Milan-Geneva-Moscow(don't ever go here)-Beijing-Tokyo-Minneapolis-NYC-DC ticket, and it was under $2500. Shocking, right?

6. If you're traveling around Europe, check out the cheap airlines. You can get amazing deals, I flew from London to Dublin for $5 once.  EasyJet, RyanAir, SkyEurope, FlyBe, CityJet(I recently flew, very nice, business class only at cheap prices), Vueling. Make sure you check on your bag weight allowance, this is how they make up lost money. Check out SkyScanner to book some tickets!

Train Travel
Traveling via train in Europe is delightful. If only it were so in most of America.... 

1. Book you train ticket through either RailEurope or The Train Line. If you want to get on and off the train a lot as your travel the continent, look at getting a Rail Pass, there are lots of options for however many stops and when you want to travel. 

2. Take the Eurostar! It is so convenient, you can be in London from Paris in just over 2 hours and Brussels from Paris in just over an hour. All to and from city centers, so no loooong and expensive taxi rides either side.

Hotels

1. Always a major cost toward your adventure. So maybe try thinking outside the box? What about renting a flat or house and using it as a base to do day trips? Check out VRBO (international) or OneFineStay(right now only London and NYC) or Paris Address to see what is available in the place you want to visit. Or why not try a home exchange? Swap houses with someone else for a week and live like a local! 

2. Why not have a look at Bed and Breakfasts? Skip the big hotel. See if anything sounds good at AirBnB or Bed&Breakfast.

3. Have a look at websites like JetSetter or HipMunk or Vacationist to find upscale or boutique hotels at discounted prices.

4. And always always always go to TripAdvisor before you book anything to check out the reviews from people who have actually stayed there.

Some items I never leave home without:

1. Universal Adapter. Don't ever buy these at airports, you will get majorly and deservedly, ripped off. Get them ahead of time on Amazon, or any travel site.

Or this-
It can be a bit cumbersome, but it's also nice to have everything in one piece

2. Always have a place for your Passport, don't just throw it in your carry-on or put it in a pocket. You will be grabbing and stuffing and moving things around constantly when you travel, make sure you keep your passport safe. Also, make a copy of your passport (color preferably) and leave it with someone you trust. That way, if your passport gets lost, they can fax or email the copy to whatever embassy you get yourself to.

To keep everything organized, I use this-

It has space for your passport, ticket, frequent flier cards, money- whatever else you need. It's not as stylish (I have it in green) but it zips closed, which makes me feel more secure.


If you want something smaller or sleeker, here are a few good ones-
Monocase
(Rebecca M has tons of passport wallets and they're all ridiculously cute)

Bark Chromexcel HF

3. Medicine. The essentials are: Aleve/Ibuprofen, Imodium, Pepto pills, Benadryl and then whatever you need semi-regularly. Pack it. 

4. Headphones. Invest in silencing headphones for the plane/train/bus. You will thank me when people are coughing/snoring/crying/laughing all loudly and in your very tiny amount of personal space.

5. Travel books. I recommend anything by Rick Steves. He's my travel guru.


TimeOut, Lonely Planet and Luxe City Guides are also some favorites.


A few final tips to wrap up:

1. Wherever you decide to go, learn how to say 'Hello,' 'Please,' Thank You,' and 'Goodbye' in the native language. Don't assume everyone will just speak English. Try to be the American no one saw coming.

2. Don't waste your money on getting currency before you leave or at the equally ripping you off currency stands in the airport. Bring your ATM card from home and get money from an ATM machine when you arrive. Airports are littered with them. 

3. Find out what the tipping custom is before you arrive. Most books mentioned above will have that information.

Ok People!
Get off your ass and see the world! It's waiting for you to explore.

Mürren, Switzerland


No comments:

Post a Comment